History of our Church School
In the early 1920s a small group of Palos Verdes residents felt a need for religious instruction for their children and organized Bible study classes in their homes. A formal Sunday School was organized in 1926 and continued until early 1935 when Dr. Dennis Smith, a former Medical Missionary to China, was selected as the Superintendent of the Sunday School. Dr. Smith was a dynamic leader and teacher for 25 years. His spirit and love of sharing the Bible with children remains strong at Neighborhood Church. Today, Church School classes are held in the Christian Education building which bears his name: Dennis Smith.
Church School Goals
Sunday morning Church School is a vital part of the ministry at Neighborhood Church. Our Church School goals are to:
- Teach the Bible as our source of truth and inspiration
- Focus on helping others
- Organize so that as many people as possible are actively involved in the ministry
- Encourage fellowship and social activities among the children and youth
- Care for each others needs
Church School Sunday Morning Schedule
Sunday Morning 9:00 A.M.
- Nursery and toddler care in Dennis Smith Hall
- Children's sermon in Sanctuary followed by Church School classes for ages 3 through 5th in Dennis Smith Hall, 6-8th grade in Cyclops, and high school students (every-other week) in Cyclops. See the Order of Service each Sunday for any changes to the schedule.